5 Best Hikes Near Telluride, Colorado
If you're considering Telluride real estate, then you must also consider living the Telluride life. One of its signature experiences is the incredible hikes scattered across the San Juan Mountains.
Whether you are looking for a leisurely stroll on flat terrain or an all-out adventure, Telluride has something for everyone. Mountain Rose Realty can provide insight into some of the best hikes near Telluride, Colorado:
1. Bear Creek Trail. This 5-mile hike is a moderate difficulty and offers an elevation gain of 1,092 feet. You'll start your journey in downtown Telluride at the trailhead located at the end of South Pine Street and be welcomed by sweeping views of Telluride. As you make your way through the Bear Creek Preserve, which was preserved by the San Miguel Conservation Foundation in partnership with Telluride Town, you’ll see lovely wildflowers blooming on both sides of the path and incredible wildlife along the way. The highlight of this breathtaking hike is an 80-foot waterfall that cascades down rocky cliffs near its end. This destination is definitely one of Telluride's gems and truly shows off.
Photo: Greg Meland, Getty Images
2. Jud Weibe Memorial Trail. This 3-mile hike provides Telluride hikers with a perfect mixture of meadows, aspen groves, and panoramic views of Telluride from Bridal Veil Falls to the valley floor. The elevation gain on this moderate trail is 1,300 feet and the difficulty level is considered moderate as well. Hikers will be rewarded with stunning views of Telluride from both sides at its peak. If you're looking for a challenge then look no further than Ajax Peak. If you're brave enough to tackle this 8-mile hike that gains nearly 4,000 feet in elevation be prepared for an epic Telluride adventure.
Photo: Rachel Allen
3. Lewis Mine Hike. The trailhead is located just off the Telluride Airport Road and takes hikers up to Telluride's Ajax Peak at 12,800 feet in elevation. Along the way you'll get to witness Telluride life from a whole new perspective with panoramic views of Telluride proper and spectacular wildflower-covered hills. The Lewis Mine Hike is another must for Telluride locals and visitors alike. This 8.8-mile hike is considered challenging due to its 2,300 foot elevation gain and has plenty of stunning alpine lakes, waterfalls, wildflower-covered hills, and a fully-preserved five-story Lewis Mill awaiting you at its peak.
Photo: Beatrixx Kiddo
4. Ajax Peak. Once you reach the falls, you’ll be treated to spectacular views of Telluride Valley and its many peaks. From here, it's a steady climb up along Ajax Peak’s west ridge. Be sure to take your time; the air is thinner here, so the hike can be more taxing than one may expect. As you make your way through switchbacks, enjoy Telluride life in full glory: wildflowers paint a vibrant tapestry against mountain meadows and aspen stands provide beautiful pockets of shade along your ascent.
Eventually, you'll reach the summit with its jaw-dropping views that make all the hard effort worth it. You can see Telluride below with Bridal Veil Falls.
5. Sneffels Highline Loop. The Sneffels Highline Loop is an incredibly arduous hike, but it can be one of the most rewarding outdoor experiences in Telluride if you are ready for a full-day's journey. Make sure to pack enough food and water before your trip - ideally after having already adjusted to the altitude from a few days into your Colorado vacation. With its stunning views, this challenging adventure could soon become your favorite local hike!
If you're thinking about tackling the Sneffels Highline Loop, we highly recommend beginning at the Jud Wiebe Trailhead on Aspen Street and traversing in a counterclockwise direction. Not only is this route more laborious due to its rapid elevation gain, but getting an early start will allow you to conquer the heights while your legs are still energized - plus it reduces your chances of running into an unwelcomed thunderstorm up high!
No matter what Telluride hikes you decide to take, the Telluride life will have something amazing awaiting you!
Mountain Rose Realty can provide insight into Telluride's best and most scenic trails so that you can experience Telluride like a local.
Contact us today to find out more about Telluride's hidden gems!
Anne-Britt Ostlund | Mountain Rose Realty
Post a Comment